The facial oil conundrum

The beauty world has seen a distinctive rise in facial oils and when many people have led a lifetime avoiding oil-based products, it’s no wonder this can leave us confused!

Let’s set the record straight – facial oils will not make your skin oilier if you are using the right oil in the right quantity.

In fact – the opposite is true, a facial oil (as opposed to a cream) works with your skins natural metabolism, it heals from the inside out, helping to stabilise and balance production of sebum…without leaving a ‘film’ as many creams do.  As a result, they also help prevent acne or breakouts.

So YES – the beauty ingredient that may once have been your feared enemy is in fact your best friend and can literally be transformative.

Two of La Sultane de Saba’s fastest selling and most raved about products are their precious and organic facial oils … with very good reason, but which one is right for you?

Argan Oil versus Prickly Pear Oil

Argan Oil
Hailed as ‘liquid gold’ due to multitude of precious beauty virtues.  Argan oil has seen unprecedented growth in popularity with many major brands launching various ranges, albeit in highly diluted forms.  So be warned and be educated when choosing this oil….

You need a high % of argan oil in a product to achieve these famed benefits – seek a product that has fewer ingredients and ideally over 90% pure argan oil.

However 100% Argan Oil that smells like absolutely nothing is likely to mean it has been it has been refined.  This process strips the oil not only of any smell, but also the healing, restorative properties.  Authentic quality Argan Oil should smell ‘nutty’ and somewhat pungent to the uninitiated nose.  Seek an organic version that is unrefined to retain maximum quality and effectiveness.

Lastly, an ethical matter – the vast growth in demand is impacting the harvesting and the Berber women who work to create the oil.  This is not an easy or quick process and the overharvesting is lowering the quality and fair trading standards.  Seek an oil that works with fair trade co-operatives.

La Sultane de Saba Argan Oil 50ml £32
La Sultane de Saba has had pure organic Argan oil within its hero range since it was born over 10 years ago!  Working with Fair Trade co-operatives to create an oil which is 99% pure unrefined Argan Oil and the remainder 1% made up with either calming Orange Blossom or toning Rose to help enhance the benefits and fragrance.  Packed with carotenoids, vitamin E and fatty acids such as oleic acid, making it an effective antioxidant that protects the skin.

This is the perfect oil to help heal and repair the complexion, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, scars, stretch marks and acne.  Exceptional for dry to very dry or irritated skin.

Buy Argan Oil

Prickly Pear Oil
An exceptional and superior oil that comes from cactus seeds — also known as barbary fig.  Packed with the same vitamins and antioxidants that make Argan oil so great and large amounts of linoleic acid (a fatty acid that is essential in stimulating healthy cell production).

It is well reported that the best quality Prickly Pear Oil is sourced from Tunisia using cold pressed organic methods. Apparently, sourcing here ensures the oil is pure seed oil and not a macerated version of inferior quality. This is a more expensive oil – and if you find a cheap version, it is unlikely to be pure seed oil, which is where the highest quality and most potent skin beneficial constituents come from.

La Sultane de Saba Prickly Pear Oil 50ml £41
Awarded the Beauty Shortlist Editor’s Choice 2016 award, La Sultane de Saba is renowned for its Prickly Pear Facial Oil.

Far lighter than Argan Oil, this organic, fair trade oil sourced from Tunisia, absorbs incredibly quickly and retains an astonishing amount of moisture which helps to smooth and plump the skin.  This oil protects against free radicals, stimulates skin cell growth, and reduces inflammation. It’s easily absorbed without leaving any oily residue.

This is the perfect anti-ageing partner for those with mature, combination and/or oily skin.

Buy Prickly Pear Oil